Together with our tenants and guests, we have executed waste management strategies; some of them are:
100% of corporate waste cellulose (paper, cardboard, etc.) is recycled through a third specialized party.
Although this initiative may seem elemental, its impact is high, because it goes beyond appropriate disposal of office waste, it has contributed to:
- Ecosystem conservation: through our collaboration with biopappel, we contribute to habitat loss prevention and ecosystem protection, which allows biodiversity conservation and upkeep of ecosystem services in Mexico.
- Energy: recycled paper consumes 28% to 70% less energy in its recycling process vs manufacturing new paper.
- Emissions: less water and air pollution is generated through recycling processes.
- Pollution: dioxide generation its minimized, due to the lack of bleaching needs.
- Waste: solid municipal waste is reduced and with it we also diminish methane production.
- Cost reductions: FUNO receives office paper in exchange of giving out it´s cellulose waste; we also reduce the amount of transported waste to municipal landfills which also reduces cost of transportation.
Additionally most of our retail estates have implemented cardboard recycling programs; through practices like this, FUNO optimizes its impact generated by solid waste while reducing costs.
Inorganic wastes with limited use
In our corporate offices, we separate inorganic wastes with limited use for feminine sanitary wastes. In order to give them a proper waste management, FUNO hires a third specialized party.
With this we:
Animal and vegetable fat reprocessing
We collaborate with a specialized party in the collection of vegetable and animal fats; we have installed collectors in some of our food courts and tenant spaces, to gather all waste fat resulting from food production. This fat is collected and eventually transformed into bio-energetics or used in the chemical industry.
This initiative has contributed to:
- Strengthening our commitment to reducing our environmental footprint and searching for environmental friendly and innovative solutions.
- Evade waste water contamination, as well as presence of fat and oils in the municipal swage system.
- Additional income is generated for our tenants which also increases their possibilities of staying as tenants.